Date: Mar 30, 2013 3:35 PM
Author: fom
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

On 3/30/2013 9:20 AM, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
> david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> writes:

>>> Meaning can be a complicated question. Typically,
>>> in the modern sense of meaning, the meaning of a
>>> statement is now taken to be its truth conditions.

>> I guess that by "in the modern sense" you mean that some kind of
>> consensus has been reached by the elite philosophers you think are
>> worth listening to. I really doubt that a majority of intelligent
>> people would agree with that consensus.

> Right.
>
> But if you ask the man on the street what provides meaning, he'll say
> "falsifiability!"
>
> It's no good pretending that philosophers' answers are irrelevant,
> because they are not accepted by the common man, when your own answers
> are similarly obscure and unaccepted.

Actually, the man on the street would probably express
a correspondence theory of truth with regard to statements
involving material objects.

If pressed on meaning involving abstract objects, a sort
of personal pragmatism would be invoked on the basis of
utilities and/or beliefs.

If pressed further, one would most likely hear something
such as:

"It is what it is"

That seems to be the nature of reductive reasoning and
epistemology. In the final analysis, the elite philosophers
do not do much better.