Date: Mar 31, 2013 3:10 AM
Author: David Park
Subject: Re: Is there ever a case where two consecutive commas in not an error?

Craig,

As it stands now there is nothing that prevents a programmer from using
successive commas as a valid expression.

{a, b, , c}

I use this as a shortcut method for representing ellipsis sequences in
Presentations.

<< Presentations`

iSum[a[i], {i, 1, 2, , n}]
a[1] + a[2] + \[CenterEllipsis] + a[n]

iSum[a[i], {i, 1, 2, , k, Null}]
a[1] + a[2] + \[CenterEllipsis] +a[k] + \[CenterEllipsis]

(Except here the FullForm output is actually in an iSum wrapper and some
manipulation can be done on the expression, or it can be converted to a
normal Sum. Special measures have to be taken to make certain the terms are
not reordered or combined.)

Perhaps Null is not the best choice here, but it is the easiest and most
natural method for entering such expressions.

David Park
djmpark@comcast.net

From: W Craig Carter [mailto:ccarter@MIT.EDU]

Hello,
I am wondering if there is ever a case where ",," is not an error.
For example, I make syntax errors like this:

Plot[x,{x,0,1},ImageSize->Large,BaseStyle->Large,PlotRange->{All,{0,2}},,Plo
tLabel->"label",Epilog->Line[{{0,0},{1,.5}}]]

very often, and searching for them would be easier with highlighting.

If ",," is never not an error, shouldn't it be a candidate for error syntax
highlighting?
(or, If ",," is always an error, it should be a candidate for error syntax
highlighting)

Craig Carter