Date: Mar 31, 2013 4:23 PM
Author: BBPHX99
Subject: Abstract Algebra as a Required Course to Become a Math Teacher

I am interested in how teachers feel about abstract algebra being a required class to take to become an instructor. As the head of InteractiveMathTutor.com, I speak with many teachers and those trying to become teachers and I hear over and over how abstract algebra is a very difficult course. We have worked with many students studying abstract algebra but I myself have wondered the purpose in having this course as a requirement. As anyone who has taken abstract algebra fully knows, it is very different and much more complex than any algebra course.

I would like to know people's opinion to abstract algebra as a required course.

Howard Heller, Founder and Head
www.interactivemathtutor.com