Date: Apr 1, 2013 3:56 PM
Author: fom
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

On 4/1/2013 2:07 PM, Gus Gassmann wrote:
> On 01/04/2013 3:50 PM, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>> Can you show me any published account (besides your own) which
>> indicates that scientists do what you say? Is there any scientist
>> ever who has actually published an exhortation to always treat pi as a
>> fiction and only use approximations to pi, because pi itself is part
>> of the unfalsifiable pseudoscience?

> Well, that depends on whether you consider WM a scientist or not. (He
> does have a doctorate in Physics...)

Although accurate, that is simply too cruel.

However, one might distinguish between an
educator and a scientist. Does he have
published papers in recognized peer reviewed
journals or has he been awarded research grant
money on the basis of applications proposing
research with that expectation? This question,
of course, is restricted to fields which one
would consider as empirical science and is
restricted to social norms upon which a
governmental agency might choose to commit
a significant expenditure without public
controversy.