Date: Apr 5, 2013 2:20 AM
Author: fom
Subject: Re: Matheology § 224

On 4/5/2013 12:57 AM, Nam Nguyen wrote:
> On 04/04/2013 10:55 PM, fom wrote:
>>
>> Who knows what is and what is not -- even
>> in the simple realm of mathematics -- claims
>> a certain knowledge that is revealed rather
>> than discerned.

> So, since Godel, is the knowledge of the natural numbers
> a revealed or discerned one?
>
> Revealed by whom? Discerned from what?

I thought you claimed to be a relativist. ???

The history of mathematical logic is entwined
with a philosophical perspective that is collapsing
from its own analyses. Goedel argued for
idealism and platonism. That is not the logicism,
logical positivism, or predicativism that tried
to ground mathematics on the basis of realism
and otherwise characterized the era in which he
worked.