Date: Apr 6, 2013 1:23 PM
Author: Richard Hake
Subject: Re: Keystone XL: The Pipeline to Disaster - ADDENDUM

Q. What's the Keystone XL Pipeline got to do with math?

A. See McKibben's (2012) "Global Warming's Terrifying New Math."

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Google Scholar <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
Facebook: <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>

REFERENCES [URL shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 06 April 2013.]

McKibben, B. 2012. "Global Warming's Terrifying
New Math: Three simple numbers that add up to
global catastrophe - and that make clear who the
real enemy is," Rolling Stone, 19 July; online at
<http://rol.st/12umI3l>. McKibben wrote: "When we
think about global warming at all, the arguments
tend to be ideological, theological and economic.
But to grasp the seriousness of our predicament,
YOU JUST NEED TO DO A LITTLE MATH. . . . .[[My
CAPS]]. . . . For the past year, an easy and
powerful bit of arithmetical analysis first
published by financial analysts in the U.K. has
been making the rounds of environmental
conferences and journals, but it hasn't yet
broken through to the larger public. This
analysis upends most of the conventional
political thinking about climate change. And it
allows us to understand our precarious - our
almost-but-not-quite-finally hopeless - position
with three simple numbers: . . . . .2° Celsius,
565 Gigatons, and 2,795 Gigatons."