Date: Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM
Author: Jesse F. Hughes
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:32:39 PM UTC-7, Rotwang wrote:
>

>> Lest anyone assume that Petry actually knows what he's talking about,
>> it's worth mentioning that many applied mathematicians do, in fact, make
>> liberal use of Cantorian set theory.

> "those of us who work in probability theory or any other area of
> applied mathematics have a right to demand that this disease
> [Cantorian set theory] be quarantined and kept out of our field"
> (From "Probability Theory: The Logic of Science" by E. T. Jaynes)

Surely E. T. Jaynes isn't really representative of applied
mathematicians? I thought his views were considered a wee uncommon.

(By the way, did he say a damned thing about falsifiability being the
appropriate test for mathematical health?)

> "The pure mathematician can do what he pleases, but the applied
> mathematician must be at least partially sane." (J. Willard Gibbs)

Nice quote. Was he talking about falsifiability?

--
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake
that could be made. But I just kept pushing."