Date: Apr 11, 2013 9:00 PM
Author: Walter Bushell
Subject: Re: Problems with Infinity?

In article <512d0d61$9$fuzhry+tra$mr2ice@news.patriot.net>,
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <spamtrap@library.lspace.org.invalid>
wrote:

> The word "infinity" has no context-independent meaning in Mathematics.
> In Complex Analysis it is conventional to compactify C and to refer to
> the added point as oo, but that has noting to do with other uses of
> the symbol. Neither this usage, nor the similar usages for the real
> line, have anything to do with cardinality.

Ah, it was the problems of cardinality that caused Charlie Dodgson to
write that poem that included this line;

"He thought he saw an argument that proved he was the Pope."

But much more to do with carnality.

--
Gambling with Other People's Money is the meth of the fiscal industry.
me -- in the spirit of Karl and Groucho Marx