Date: Apr 11, 2013 9:00 PM
Author: Walter Bushell
Subject: Re: Problems with Infinity?

In article <512d0d61$9$fuzhry+tra$>,
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <>

> The word "infinity" has no context-independent meaning in Mathematics.
> In Complex Analysis it is conventional to compactify C and to refer to
> the added point as oo, but that has noting to do with other uses of
> the symbol. Neither this usage, nor the similar usages for the real
> line, have anything to do with cardinality.

Ah, it was the problems of cardinality that caused Charlie Dodgson to
write that poem that included this line;

"He thought he saw an argument that proved he was the Pope."

But much more to do with carnality.

Gambling with Other People's Money is the meth of the fiscal industry.
me -- in the spirit of Karl and Groucho Marx