Date: Apr 15, 2013 1:17 AM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: MathTeachers?

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> Kirby Says:
> >This is where someone needs (is obliged to) mention music and logs and
> the fact that the eight notes of the octave represent a doubling then
> another doubling (of frequency).
>
> I like this one:
> http://www.yuvalnov.org/temperament/
>
> and a dissenting ( disonant?) view:
> http://www.dbdoty.com/Words/Primer_2.1.html
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Changing the subject a little (writing music and programming are not
entirely dissimilar):

if we taught them the fine art of programming "generators",
we could play a lot more with sequences and series. In the
rush to do Calculus, I think we neglect this fun place.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2013-April/010829.html

The exp stuff goes here too as so many sums have e or
gamma, the latter less known. But if we shared the free
software in the schools more, we could up the literacy about
history too. We don't do nearly enough with timelines yet
(aka "partially overlapping scenarios" -- to echo one of my
math teachers, long time subscribers might know which one).

Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics was a helpful class I took
in the Philippines on the side. We met in a skyscraper in
Makati, corporate setting. It wasn't the speed reading that
stuck with me so much as the emphasis on doing "a recall"
after a reading, with an emphasis on graphs for notes, by
which I mean edges connecting nodes. Affirmation of that
style of note taking was a boost for me. Hypertext came
many years later (this was 1970s).

Kirby

Connected nodes:

WikiEducator on Python generators:
http://wikieducator.org/PYTHON_TUTORIALS#Generators

Me in the work place, linking to a talk hyping Python, including generators:
http://blog.oreillyschool.com/2013/04/the-kirbster-reports-back-from-pycon-2013-not-all-scripting-languages-are-equal.html

Picture of me, 2009, OS Bridge conference, Portland, OR:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahockley/3674543622/in/set-72157619850504958/