Date: Apr 17, 2013 2:55 PM
Author: dpb
Subject: Re: Interp1 Best Method?

On 4/17/2013 10:52 AM, XLT_Frank wrote:
> dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kkmd7e$ajg$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>>
>> I'd instead use the integer sampling rate as the time instead of float
>> since you want an exact comparison and that's iffy w/ floating point
>> and then use ISMEMBER or INTERSECT.

> Thank you for the update. I will explore those. I am trying to figure
> out what do about time. I was just informed that my date and time is not
> being provided as some form of serial number in integer format. Instead
> it is going to be a column with the date, likely in day of year, while
> the time column is going to be hh:mm:ss.ssss. It should match the IRIG
> MIL-1553 Chapter 10 format from the range commander's tools. I guess I
> could request that they provide the RTC data, which is millisec since on
> time and then just use the traditional date time for labeling.

That'll work just fine w/ the DOY; ML DATENUM is smart enough to deal
with it. Example,

>> datestr(datenum(2013,0,33))
ans =
02-Feb-2013

Any field passed to datenum that exceeds proper range for the date/time
will propagate to next higher field correctly accounting for day/month,
leap year, etc., etc. IOW, you don't need anything special to deal with
it in Matlab simply.

Is the sampling process buffered so it is a precision and can just be
assumed from the ordinal count and the sampling rate or is it a polling
process where there is jitter and the sampled timestamp is significant?
Generally sampled data is more like the former for such sampling rates
and the RTC is just bookkeeping to keep track of what that particular
record means in the larger context of the experiment, datalogger,
whatever it is...