Date: Apr 20, 2013 5:54 AM
Author: David Park
Subject: Re: how to define and analyze function with multiple parts

You could try Piecewise and make certain you know proper Mathematica syntax.

A more specific and complete posting might give rise to a more complete
answer.

David Park
djmpark@comcast.net

From: pjanakir1978@gmail.com [mailto:pjanakir1978@gmail.com]

Hi, I have a function on the plane that has 2 different formulation for 2
different regions. Let x = (x1, ..., xn). I want to define it as

U(x) = U_1(x) if x is in region 1
= U_2(x) if x is in region 2

Then I want to analyze such a defined function, like find its max, etc,
using NMaximize, or put in some other expressions in place of x, to see
behavior of U.

Essentially, how does one define a multipart function, so that we can
analyze it in the same way we may analyze a single part function or
polynomial?

Thanks.

Prabhu