Date: Apr 23, 2013 7:26 AM
Author: Domenico Rosa
Subject: This 'Education Reform' Is A Destructive Fad

The following letter was published in The Hartford Courant on 22 April 2013, Page A9.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/letters/hcrs-14495hc--20130418,0,5725640.story

The unethical and invalid use of student test scores to evaluate teachers is the worst educational fad we've seen in our lifetimes. As has been evident over the past few weeks in Atlanta and D.C., there is widespread cheating when the stakes are too high.

Cheating is happening in Connecticut for the same reasons. Is the goal to improve education or just blame teachers for the myriad of social and economic conditions that impact education? Are there defenseless children who need help or just data points used as stepping stones to further the careers of administrators and politicians?

Let them go back to their "bored rooms" and let those who can, teach. The corporate "reform" of public schools is imploding across the nation. Will Connecticut be the last state to catch on to the fact that the emperors (Adamowski, Vallas, Pryor, Gates) have no clothes?

Jonathan Kozol's book, "Death at an Early Age," a metaphor for the destruction of our "seed corn" is a must read for anyone with the power to impact educational policies. We would like to believe that the people we elected are unbought and unbossed by the corporate sponsors of so-called education reform.

Christine Ladd and Laurette Laramie, Manchester
The writers are a Hartford school counselor and history teacher, respectively.