Date: Apr 23, 2013 2:22 PM
Author: Richard Hake
Subject: [math-learn] Symbiosis: A Standardista Endorses a Direct Instructionist

Some subscribers to Math-Learn might be interested in a recent post
"Symbiosis: A Standardista Endorses a Direct Instructionist" [Hake
(2013)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In "Re: Casualty of the Math Wars" [Hake (2012a)] at
<> I criticized Bishop et al.'s "A Close
Examination of Jo Boaler's Railside Report"
<>. Then in "R.L. Moore - Pioneer of Math
Education Reform" [Hake (2013c)] at <>, I
criticized Bishop's (2013b) "Re: Direct Instruction rocks: Or does
it?" <> (click on the html attachment).

My criticism of Bishop's proclamations led "standardista" (in the
educational sense employed by Susan Ohanian <>)
Richard P. Phelps (2013) <> to endorse direct
instructionist Wayne Bishop by portraying my criticism as simply
"personal animosity" in a post of that title at
<>. In this post I show that Phelps makes
serious errors in each of his nine objections to my criticism.

To access the complete 43 kB post please click on <>.

Links to Articles: <>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <>
Academia: <>
Blog: <>
GooglePlus: <>
Google Scholar <>
Twitter: <>
Facebook: <>

"It is not enough to observe, experiment, theorize, calculate and
communicate; we must also argue, criticize, debate, expound,
summarize, and otherwise transform the information that we have
obtained individually into reliable, well established, public
- John Ziman. 1969. "Information, Communication, Knowledge," Nature 224:
318-324; abstract online at <>.

REFERENCES [URL shortened by <> and accessed on 23 April 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. "Symbiosis: A Standardista Endorses a Direct
Instructionist" online on the OPEN Net-Gold archives at
<>. Post of 22 Apr 2013 18:43:32-0700 to AERA-L
and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being
transmitted to several discussion lists and are on my blog
"Hake'sEdStuff" at <> with a provision for