Date: Apr 24, 2013 9:39 AM
Author: Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Subject: Re: closed universe, flat space?

In <MPG.2be10223655ef8e343@news.eternal-september.org>, on 04/23/2013
at 09:40 PM, Poutnik <poutnik@privacy.invalid> said:

>RichD posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:23:30 -0700 (PDT)

>> Supposedly, our universe is closed and finite, although the
>> geometry and topology isn't precisely known. This means
>> a straight line (geodesic) traveler must return to his starting
>> poiint, yes/no? Hence, curved space.
>>
>> At the same time, astronomers claim, that space is flat, to
>> the precision of their measurements. Usually, this is
>> accompanied by the comment that the universe is balanced
>> between infinite expansion, or eventual collapse, we can't
>> tell which.
>>
>> So, space is closed, but also flat... back in my day, they
>> had something called a logical contradiction, which was
>> considered a bad thing, but I guess times change...
>> viva progress -

>The question is - Is supposed value of expected curvature of space
>statistically significant wrt error of measured flatness ?

No, the questions are why the OP is making a false claim and and why
the OP is falsely claiming a logical contradiction.

"Supposedly, our universe is closed and finite" is untrue; what is
true is that GR allows for the possibility and that a sufficiently
latge density of matter would require it. The observed density isn't
large enough.

What is worse is that there is no logical contradiction between a
closed universe and a flat universe.

reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org