Date: May 10, 2013 3:27 AM
Author: Scott Berg
Subject: PCode obfuscation cracked - alternatives?

Hello,
I'm asking this question since I found software claiming to be able to de-obfuscate p files to m files almost perfectly (*).

is there any way safer than pcode (wrt reverse engineering) to protect matlab code to be used by matlab (i.e. no stand alone executable) that you would recommend?
In particular, the code to be protected calls and is called by functions/m files that cannot be obfuscated/protected (they are part of another library that cannot be modified).

e.g.: i recall once upon a time m files could be compiled to mex, but it seems this is not the case anymore (or at least it seems requiring multiple steps and lots of headaches).

the target environment is 2012b,

Thank you,

(*)
Just to be clear... I'm not talking about information leaking from running code, debugging or anything requiring programming skills.

I'm talking about decompilation of a p file to a human readable and (very likely) executable m file, by a simple command line statement.

Assuming that works (and it sure looks that way), is there a second line of defense to prevent proprietary algorithms being disassembled by a simple one-click operation, while mantaining compatibility/executability in the matlaab environment?