Date: May 19, 2013 1:50 PM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Anna Roys <roys.anna@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I decided to join this thread as I have been reviewing some 7th Grade
> Common Core Math curriculum for next school year's use; in my opinion this
> curriculumdoes tie hands-on real life activities to problems. It is titled,
> *Big Ideas Math* by Ron Larson and Laurie Boswell.

I assume by "Common Core Math" you mean a text book that advertises its
conformance with whatever standards have been scraped together by the time
of its publishing, under that label. The same text without that
advertising need not be substantially different?

I'm not against standards, I just might want to compete rather than conform
to the so-called Common Core. E.g. in "my" curriculum it's essential to
communicate that

(a) four equal radius balls pressed together for a vertexes of a
tetrahedron with their four centers (duh) and
(b) six of the same-sized balls form an octahedron of precisely four times
the tetrahedrons volume and
(c) these two polyhedrons fill space in complement in a ratio of 2:1

Any STEM curriculum is laughably lacking given how important the CCP (FCC)
is to basic structural chemistry. This info has just gotta be there,
somehow, some way, for me to agree we're dealing with a serious candidate.
But I haven't specified by which year this should have been covered. By
what we nowadays call "sixth grade" I suppose.

Kirby