Date: May 21, 2013 4:21 AM
Author: Bob Hanlon
Subject: Re: setting highlight color and font size

(1) I don't know.

(2) An easy thing to do is to change the display magnification at the
bottom of the workbook window or use the menu command

Window | Magnification

(3) Until assigned a value, what you type is a Symbol.

Head /@ {word, 2, Pi, Pi // N, 3.14, 1/4, "str"}

{Symbol, Integer, Symbol, Real, Real, Rational, String}

#[word] & /@ {Head, StringQ, NumericQ}

{Symbol, False, False}

word = 2;

#[word] & /@ {Head, StringQ, NumericQ}