Date: May 25, 2013 5:35 AM
Author: Richard Fateman
Subject: Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

On 5/24/2013 10:07 AM, djmpark wrote:
> Yes, I believe if Mathematica notebooks are written using reasonable
> procedures they will definitely have higher integrity

<snip>
> That's one of the advantages of Mathematica, but perhaps not the most
> important advantage.

there is an interesting and controversial article by Demillo and Lipton
on Social
Processes and Proofs.. easily found on the web, but also see the
rejoinders etc.

Can you imagine the reception of you running down the hall to show your
academic colleagues or co-researchers your "proof by Mathematica"?

(note: not "result from Mathematica" but proof.)

Personally I would especially hesitate to believe any numerical result
that was not entirely done by computation in integers.

I have no particular issue with an appendix, carefully annotated etc
that allows one to reproduce a computation. Mathematica's rule-based paradigm might be less readable than some other schemes.

RJF