Date: May 25, 2013 10:05 AM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction

And as usual, there is no development. It isn't just avoidance of mathematics (and computer science) going on here, it is avoidance of structured reasoned thought in everything they do. If this were a music class I fully expect that they would avoid the theory of music like the plague, just as they are doing here with mathematics (and computer science). I will admit, with many students that is unfortunately a workable formula, but is that what school should be doing? Acquiescing to students' lack of desire and/or ability with the real meat of these subjects and spending the year developing virtually nothing? And doesn't this just fuel the students' false sense of accomplishment in mindful pursuits that later leads them into decades of college tuition debt they have no chance of freeing themselves from?

Bob Hansen