Date: May 29, 2013 2:19 PM
Author: justlooking for someone else
Subject: Some help with problems

Hi,

I have a set of 20 problems that my daughter has to solve as practice.
We are done with 17 of them, but the following has us stumped with
trying to apply the right rules. Any help would be appreciated.

7. A parallelogram has integer side-lengths and diagonals 40 and 42.
What is the area. They call it a parallelogram, but I say the
diagonals have to be the same. I say its a rhombus, but the teacher
says parallelogram. So, now I cannot make assumptions about the
angles and other assumptions based on that. Any idea how to solve
this? Rhombus is a type of parallelogram? Any clues or ideas are
appreciated.

5. How do we prove (3/2) > ( (2^571 +3) / (3^247 + 2)). Numerical
calculations are too big and out of range.

I am looking for clues and ideas so that I can work with my daughter
to make her understand. Some of these problems confound me as well.
Sorry

Thanks