Date: May 30, 2013 11:25 AM
Author: Louis Talman
Subject: Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction

On Tue, 28 May 2013 23:10:48 -0600, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu>
wrote:

> Details of the algebra notwithstanding, what in the world did you think
> I meant? "Better would be to have them express - and then graph - -
> volume of resulting cylinders as a function of side length of rectangles
> of fixed area and find the maximum. Nice algebra and it greases the
> skids for eventual calculus. What a concept."

I thought you meant that they should abandon the original problem and do
something else instead. After all, that's what you suggested. And your
something else doesn't use much of the power of algebra, either.

- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>