Date: Jun 8, 2013 12:32 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction

Greg Goodknight posted May 9, 2013 12:07 PM (
> On 05/08/2013 09:16 PM, kirby urner wrote
> > On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Greg Goodknight
> <good@nccn.net> wrote:
<snip>

> The plural of anecdote is not objective
> data.

Nor, for that matter, is a 'statistically meaningful sample' *necessarily* indicative of what's going on in the real world. To a considerable extent, the difficulties we experience (in education; in business; in governance) is that we overload our statistical models with significance they are unable to carry. (Attached herewith is a brief document that could, possibly, lead to the construction of more effective and usable models. Further documentation about this approach is attached at my post heading the thread "Democracy: how to achieve it" - http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536).

The simple (and rigorously correct) way to arrive at a meaningful and usable understanding of our reality is to develop an *adequate* understanding of how the things we do from day to day may "CONTRI8UTE TO" (or "HINDER") the things we wish to accomplish. Effective development of such models could lead to some usable understanding of how to live and work in the complex systems in which we're 'embedded'. (It will take quite some doing before we are ready to construct statistically significant and relevant models relating to the systems of interest to us. Currently, we're scarcely ever in a position to construct a statistically significant model of any kind - the great majority of the models we conventionally rely upon are meaningless in the absence of basic models showing us how the things we do contribute to the things we wish to achieve.

GSC