Date: Jun 10, 2013 3:44 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jun 10, 2013 5:37 AM (GSC remarks interspersed):

> On Jun 9, 2013, at 5:45 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > (I am NOT claiming that all students will become
> Einsteins or highly-skilled in math. I AM claiming
> that it is not natural for the great majority of
> students leaving school to fear/loathe math - and we
> need to design our educational systems to remove this
> unnatural fear and loathing).
>
> According to the article, the students still disliked
> math. I am all for vocational math in a vocational
> setting. That was the key ingredient here.

OK - so what? The point was that even students who feared/loathed math could come to understand it. Some instances were provided in the article). Doubtless some of those who come to understand the math they need may even come to like it. Without understanding as a preliminary, there is no chance of 'liking'. The key ingredient is that it is entirely possible to overcome the fear/loathing most students feel for math - which is possible if they can begin to understand the math they need to know.

> I was discussing what defines humans with a friend
> last week. I guess our children are at that age in
> school where the teachers start making those
> distinctions. I came up with...
>
> 1. They are good with tools and fine motor skills.
> 2. They are good with language.
> 3. They are emotional.
>
> That's it.
>
> Mind you, I am trying to define the species in
> general, not just 15 or 25% of the species.
>
> Bob Hansen

OK. So what? This does not counter any of the points raised in the article - or any of the points I had raised in the post to which you are 'responding'.

GSC