Date: Jun 13, 2013 6:25 PM
Author: Richard Hake
Subject: Assessment of Climate Change: A Challenge for the University

Some subscribers to Math-Teach might be interested in a recent post
"Assessment of Climate Change: A Challenge for the University" [Hake
(2013)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: ASSESS subscribers (a) Larry King at
<> & <>, and (b) Mike
Fulford at <> questioned the *relevancy to
assessment in higher education* of my posts "Senator Sheldon
Whitehouse - Time to Wake Up: GOP Opposition to Climate Science" at
<> and "Why Democrats in Congress Fail To
Support Climate Change Legislation #3" at <>.

*Irrelevant to assessment in higher education*? King and Fulford may
have missed my post "Would a Carbon Tax Save Life on Planet Earth?"
at <>. If there's no life on Planet Earth then
*there's neither higher education nor assessment on Planet Earth*.

Karl Pister, Emeritus Chancellor of UC - Santa Cruz, wrote at
<>: ". . . we need to encourage innovative
ways of looking at problems, moving away from the increasing
specialization of academia to develop new interdisciplinary fields
that can address *complex real-world problems* from new perspectives."

Surely the assessment of the alleged threat to life on Planet Earth
by anthropogenic global warming is *A Challenge To The University*
rather than the *Irrelevancy* seen by King and Fulford.

To access the complete 8 kB post please click on

Links to Articles: <>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <>
Academia: <>
Blog: <>
GooglePlus: <>
Google Scholar: <>
Twitter: <>
Facebook: <>
LinkedIn: <>

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber."
- Worthy of - but misattributed to - Plato
(427-347 BC)

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <> and accessed on 13 June 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. "Assessment of Climate Change: A Challenge for the
University," online on the OPEN! Net-Gold archives at
<>. Post of 13 Jun 2013 10:47:32-0700 to AERA-L
and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being
distributed to various discussion lists and are on my blog
"Hake'sEdStuff" at <>.