Date: Jun 17, 2013 9:46 PM
Author: Domenico Rosa
Subject: Teacher Training and Student Assessment: At Odds?"

The June/July 2013 issues of NOTICES of the AMS at

http://www.ams.org/notices/201306/

contains the DOCEAMUS column "Teacher Training and Student Assessment: At Odds?" by Michael Bardzell and Jennifer Bergner on pp. 763-764.

In the second paragraph, they make the following points about the high-stakes testing racket:

"The questions are multiple choice or require short expository responses that do not reveal if a student has deep understanding of a topic. [...] this encourages teaching of these concepts in a linear and formulaic manner which does not emphasize connections between ideas. It also encourages teachers to turn the month before the state test into multiple cram sessions on how to do procedure X when the key word/phrase Y is used in test questions."

The December 1992 issue of FOCUS, the newsletter of the Mathematical Association of America, contained a copy of a Japanese University Entrance Examination in mathematics. This examination is machine-graded, but it is not multiple-choice like our idiotic tests. The students must enter the answer to each problem in a grid, just as they do on a few math problems on our SATs. Why is it that the testing-racket crowd does not use the Japanese answer sheets? Is this crowd afraid that the continuing pseudo-education of American students would be exposed more fully?