Date: Jun 25, 2013 2:27 AM
Author: Torsten
Subject: Re: Problem with Newton Raphson Method for Two Variables

>Hello,
>
> I have two functions, f1(x1)=a1*exp(b1*x1)
>and f2(x2)=a2*exp(-((x2-b2)/c2)^2)
>where a1, b1, a2, b2 and c2 are constants. x1 and x2 are dependent variables.
>I need to solve the two functions using newton raphson's method. Can anyone help >me?
>
>Thanks
>Shubha

>>Except for trivial cases, both functions f1 and f2 don't have a zero.
>>Moreover, f1 only depends on x1 and f2 only depends on x2.
>>So what exactly are you trying to do with Newton-Raphson ?
>>
>>Best wishes
>>Torsten.

>>>Hello Torsten
>>>
>>>I'm trying to obtain the values for x1 and x2. Yes exactly, f1 only depends on x1 >>>and f2 on x2, while x1 and x2 are dependent on each other. Since the two >>>functions are non-linear, I use NR method to optimize until a certain tolerance limit.
>>>
>>>Shubha

Hello Shubha,

it's stiill not clear to me what you are trying to do.

You write:
"I'm trying to obtain the values for x1 and x2."
What values ? What should these values satisfy ?
Should they satisfy f1(x1)=0 and f2(x2)=0 ?

You write:
"x1 and x2 are dependent on each other."
How ? Can you give the function how they depend on each other ?

Best wishes
Torsten.