Date: Jun 25, 2013 10:58 AM
Author: Jason DeRocco
Subject: CCLS: Rational Expressions?

I seem to be running into conflicting information regarding Rational Expressions/Equations and the Common Core for Algebra I. I don't see mention of them in the "Story of Functions" overview, but when you look through Module 1 and the Mid-Module Assessment task, you need to be able to factor -1 to get a common denominator (binomial), subtract, and then divide.

How intense should we investigate these in the Common Core? We had done things such as polynomial long division in the past as well. Should we devote our time to things other than rationals?

Thank you for your time,
Jason DeRocco