Date: Jun 29, 2013 5:49 PM
Author: Jerry P. Becker
Subject: SAYINGS XLIV

These "sayings," as with earlier ones, come from
a wide range of sources: email signatures, books,
bulletin boards, the web, recipients of the
distribution list and some for which the source
is unknown to me.

"WYTIWYT: what you test is what you teach."

(Mogens Niss) [From Henk van der Kooij -- ICTMA-5, 1991]

WYSIATI: "What You See Is All There Is."

(Daniel Kahneman -Nobel Laureate) [Sent by Randy Philipp ]

"What the best and wisest parent wants for his
own child, that must the community want for all
of its children. Any other ideal for our schools
is narrow and unlovely; acted upon, it destroys
our democracy.

(John Dewey - 1915) [From David W. Stinson]

"The proper coat of arms for a college is the question mark."

(Christian W. MacKauer) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"There are two possible outcomes: If the result
confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a
measurement. If the result is contrary to the
hypothesis, then you've made a discovery."

(Enrico Fermi) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"That's fine in practice, but does it work in theory?"

(Seen on a University of Chicago t-shirt)

"Common Core math standards: "Implementation is
everything Š Preparation of teachers Š is
crucial."

(William McCallum) [From talk by AFT President Randi Weingarten]

"The federal government is spending $350 million
on new high-stakes tests aligned to the CCSS but
nothing specifically targeted to prepare
teachers."

(Randi Weingarten)

"Common Core: Do What it Takes Before High Stakes."

(Randi Weingarten)

"Education is the process by which we become
something different from what we were."

(James M. Redfield) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"Not to engage in the pursuit of ideas is to live like ants instead of men."

(Mortimer Adler) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"To love what you do and feel that it matters -
how could anything be more fun?"

(Katherine Graham) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just suck."

(Kenny Powers) [Seen on a t-shirt in the University of Chicago bookstore]

"Ignore the people who talk about you behind your
back. That's exactly where they belong, behind
your back."

(JERose) [From Patsy Wang]

"Sometimes, you just need to distance yourself
from people. If they care, they'll notice. If
they don't, you know where you stand."

(Unknown) [From Patsy Wang]

"If you want something in your life you've never
had, you'll have to do something you've never
done.

(JD Houston) [From Patsy Wang]

"Don't start your day with the broken pieces of yesterday."

(Anonymous) [From Patsy Wang]

"Progress is a nice word. But change is its
motivator. And change has its enemies."

(Robert Kennedy) [From the signature of Walter Wendler]

"The goal of education is to enable individuals to continue their education."

(John Dewey) [Seem in the New York Times]

"A the University of Chicago, I realized there
were real questions, whereas previously I only
had answers."

(Leon Hess) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"You aren't really drowning -- figure out how to save yourself!"

(Unknown) [Seen as a comment on present day parenting]

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but
nothing can be changed until it is faced."

(James Baldwin) [From signature of Libby Pizzo]

"Nurture, nature."

(Unknown) [From signature of Sandeep Kulkarni]

"The only interesting answers are those that destroy the questions."

(Susan Sontag) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"Want IT. Believe IT. Go get IT."

(Football motto at University of Chicago)

"Mathematics as a Process - The learner should
reinvent mathematising rather than mathematics;
abstracting rather than abstractions;
schematising rather than schemes; formalising
rather than formulae; algorithmising rather than
algorithms; and verbalising rather than language."

(Hans Freudenthal) [From a paper by Christoph Selter]

"The Richness of Primary School Mathematics: We
do not believe that there is a clear-cut
distinction between the activity of a research
mathematician and a child learning mathematics.
The child has different aids and other
experiences, but both are involved in the same
creative act."

(David Wheeler) [From a paper by Christoph Selter]

"The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil."

(Ralph Waldo Emerson) [From the signature of Von Moseley]

"Your character is your fate."

(Anonymous)

"Children should be seen and not hurt."

(Unknown)

"Great teachers aren't born, they are made by the teacher next door."

(Lola May) [From the signature of Jeff Holcomb)

"Human beings can lose their lives in libraries. They ought to be warned."

(Saul Bellow) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"The goal of education is to enable individuals to continue their education."

(John Dewey)

"If a decision-making process is flawed and
dysfunctional, decisions will go awry."

(Carly Fiorina) [From Walter V. Wendler]

"If you never shoot, you already missed."

(Dutch saying) [From Anna Nachesa, as
reported in an article by Jeffrey R. Young]

"Cherish yesterday, Dream tomorrow. Live for today."

(Unknown) [Seen on medical office wall]

"I am a person who believes that sleeping is a
dreadful thing, because you can't read."

(George Steiner) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"We are not here to be successful. We are here to be faithful."

(Mother Teresa) [From the signature of Misuzu M Schexnider]

"Work is love made visible."

(Khalil Gibran) [From the signature of Misuzu M Schexnider]

"There are many ways to organize curricula. The
challenge, now rarely met, is to avoid those that
distort mathematics and turn off students."

(Lynn Arthur Steen, 2007) [From ISBE website]

"Mathematics in theater? Yes. The humanities are
not unimportant all of a sudden. Yet I'm thinking
a serious STEAM can cover them, adding that A, I
say for Anthropology, they say for Art.
Whatever. Anthropoids. Humans. We get the
humanities back in through the A word."

(Kirby Urner) [From listserve email note -- STEM ---->STEAM]

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature
as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for
other people."

(William Howard Taft) [From Walter V. Wendler]

"We prove what we believe, not believe what we prove."

(Phil Mahler) [From an email from him to a listserve]

"If humans beings have a single unifying talent,
it is the ability to find insignificant
differences to magnify."

(Les Winkler, Sports Editor / Southern
Illinoisan) [From Winkler's newspaper column]

"Learning is a curious thing. It is hard to do entirely on your own."

(Richard A. Schweder) [From a book about the University of Chicago]

"By wanting what we have, doing what we can, and
being who we are, our cup will forever be half
full, not half empty."

(Forrest Church) [From Love & Death]

"I stand on the reality that there is no way to
measure the social benefit that derives from a
cultivated mind."

(Peter T. Flawn, president emeritus/Univ. of
Texas at Austin) [From Walter V. Wender]

"Okay, hmmmm, let's see. Dying tomorrow. What should I do today?"

(Forrest Church) [From Love & Death]

"Never hire someone who knows less than you do about what he's hired to do."

(Malcolm Forbes, Former Publisher of Forbes) [From Walter V Wendler]

"Without computers, we would be stuck only
proving theorems that have short proofs."

(Kenneth I. Appel) [Four Colors Problem Proof]

"Productive Practising: The mathematical richness
of our examples for the practising of skills is
no useless luxury. It offers enormous pedagogical
potential one has to use in the interest of
children."

(Erich Ch. Wittmann & Gerhard N. Müller) [From a paper by Christoph Selter]

"The data presented in this study suggest that
the most powerful policy for improving our
nations' school achievement is a reduction in
family and youth poverty."

(David Berliner (2005) in "Our Impoverished View
of Educational Reform") [From Richard Hake]

"I can't remember my telephone number, but I know it was in the high numbers"

(John Maynard Keynes (1883 - 1946)) [Quoted
in D MacHale, Comic Sections (Dublin 1993)]

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart
people into thinking they can't lose."

(Bill Gates (born 1955), businessman and
philanthropist) [From Valerie Strauss blog]

"How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?"

(Steven Wright)

"Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of
captivity, they can train people to stand on the
very edge of the pool and throw them fish."

(From Sandy Lemberg)

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back."

(From Sandy Lemberg)

"Some people hear voices. Some see invisible
people. Others have no imagination whatsoever."

(From Sandy Lemberg)

"I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back."

( Zsa Zsa Gabor) [From Sandy Lemberg]

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good
for anything, but you can't help smiling when you
see one tumble down the stairs."

(From Sandy Lemberg)

"Hospitality: Making your guests feel like
they're at home, even if you wish they were."

(From Sandy Lemberg)

Jerry P. Becker
Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction
Southern Illinois University