Date: Jul 3, 2013 8:06 AM
Author: Jerry P. Becker
Subject: FYI  --  Announcement on Common Core Moratorium

FOR YOUR INFORMATION ...

Jerry,

I wanted to let you know about an important announcement Secretary of
Education Arne Duncan made last week.

As you know, in a speech that I gave April 30, the AFT called for a
moratorium on the high-stakes consequences of the Common Core
assessments to give teachers and school districts time to properly
implement the new higher standards. As a result of that speech and
literally thousands of letters sent by you-our members and
activists-in support of putting a brake on the stakes, the secretary
said he listened and will allow states to request additional time
before using the outcome of new assessments based on the new
standards.

<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gDYqnxjLsHESbqHiKiVuTpOam9GnVjYK>Now
it's time to tell your state education commissioners, the ball is in
their court.

This announcement acknowledges that implementing the standards
requires resources, aligned curriculum, time and professional
development to support great instruction to help all kids succeed. We
hope that this delay on the high-stakes consequences of testing will
give states the space to do a better job implementing the standards.
It is now up to the state education chiefs to take advantage of the
delay, and work actively with teachers and engage parents to ensure
the rollout of the standards is successful.

<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=lOZmpiRzNMtw%2FtNmIBoGFJOam9GnVjYK>Our
active engagement on this issue made a difference. Let's not stop
here. Send a message today.

In unity,
Randi Weingarten
AFT President