Date: Jul 3, 2013 3:12 PM
Author: Curious
Subject: Re: changing the default startup folder for MATLAB on Mac

rbj@audioimagination.com wrote in message <d3c4931a-1e71-4f9d-80cc-138e13ecc303@googlegroups.com>...

> so the outa-box default is /Users/a_specific_user/Documents/MATLAB
>
> i remember when installing it asked me about this and i said okay about the default believing that i could easily change it later.
>
> this page is no help whatsoever:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_env/changing-the-startup-folder.html
>
> nor is this page:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_env/startup-options.html

I'm not sure why this page is of no help whatsoever. It says:

On all platforms, you can also specify startup options using a MATLAB startup file?see Specifying Startup Options in the MATLAB Startup File

and that section of the page says:

Specifying Startup Options in the MATLAB Startup File

At startup, MATLAB automatically executes the file matlabrc.m and, if it exists, startup.m. The file matlabrc.m, which is in the matlabroot/toolbox/local folder, is reserved for use by MathWorks® and by the system manager on multiuser systems.

The file startup.m is for you to specify startup options. For example, you can modify the default search path, predefine variables in your workspace, or define defaults for Handle Graphics® objects. Use the following statements in a startup.m file to add the specified folder, /home/username/mytools, to the search path, and to change the current folder to mytools upon startup.

addpath /home/username/mytools
cd /home/username/mytools

Place the startup.m file in the default or current startup folder, which is where MATLAB first looks for it. For more information, see MATLAB Startup Folder.

Have you tried this option? If so, what happened?