Date: Jul 4, 2013 12:44 PM
Author: Clyde Greeno
Subject: Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?

From: "Joe Niederberger" <niederberger@comcast.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:25 AM
To: <math-teach@mathforum.org>

> R Hansen says:
>>Forget a sixth grader, how exactly do you teach modus ponens to anyone?
>>Again, to my analogy, how do you teach someone what a rose smells like?

# You take them to a rose bush, and let them smell it, and say, "This is
how roses smell". If you are unwilling to call that "teaching", you have
have confused "teaching" with "telling" ... as have all too many American
educators.

# Likewise, you take them to where they can experience modus ponens, and say
"This is called 'modus ponens'." And the easiest and most meaningful place
for learners to encounter modus ponens is within their own routine
conversation. All functional humans naturally use it ... its built into the
evolution of their thinking processes. Any "teaching" of it is merely
calling attention to it, and giving it a name ... which does, indeed, pave
the way for further learning more about it.