Date: Jul 7, 2013 4:22 PM
Author: Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
Subject: Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?

Hansen's reasoning (by his use of the humanly natural creative and rational
processes that constitute the psychological meaning of "common sense")
contradicts his own argument against common sense being "the seat of human
reasoning."

My "humbug" to formalism refers not to the role of formalism as a vehicle
for advancing professional knowledge in mathematics. [When writing
mathematical theories, I tend to be formalistic.] Rather, the worldwide
reliance on formalism as a mathematical foundation for core-curricular
education in mathematics has filtered the majority of students out from
mathematics-dependent studies, out from college studies, out from school, or
(all too often) out from civilized life. Those formalistic underminings of
humans' personal mathematical potentials have been of enormous costs to
mankind and thus to the progress even of professional mathematics. "Humbug"
not *within* mathematics, proper, but within the context of mass education
in and about it.

I reject all claims that I am a "reformer!" I am a clinical researcher, part
of whose work is disseminate clinically ascertained findings which can be
readily replicated by any other fully qualified clinical researcher.
Clinical research is all about advancing professional knowledge about the
individual human's personal mathematical well-being ... NOT about trying to
sustain or to "reform" any entrenched curricular practices.

Hansen's quarrel with (MACS) Mathematics-As-Common-Sense (to the students,
themselves) is easily explained and excused by the scarcity of serious,
enlightening literature about the common-sensibility of school-level
mathematics [from infancy through elementary calculus, statistics, and
linear algebra]. Throughout those levels, the mathematics (in
psychomathematical perspective) is common-sensible to the degree that the
learners can be instructionally guided to achieve its concepts and facts
through their own reasoning ... without being TOLD those mathematical
"points" by the instructor. Of course, such *eductive* methods of
learning-guidance heavily rely the learners' concurrent, progressive
development of personal emerging powers of rational, creative, analytic
mathematical reasoning. To minimize needless quibbling, that is *the kind*
of common-sense with which the MALEI Clinic is concerned. [Many
mathematicians would call it, "guided discovery."]

Clinical eductive instruction thus discloses that school-level mathematics,
itself, is quite common-sensible to whatever learners who can be so-guided
to so re-create the mathematical theories underlying the core curriculum.
[But over the 34 years of of the Clinic's intermittent operations, we have
found NOT ONE case of a fully functional child or adult WHO CANNOT so-learn
school-level mathematics.] To be sure, there is much variation in their
viable modes and rates of MACS-learning.

Clinical research thus discloses that the mathematics, itself, is adequately
common-sensible for functional humans (in that psychomathematical meaning of
the phrase). It means that when students have trouble digesting
school/college mathematics into personal common sense, it is NOT because the
mathematics, itself, is non-common-sensible. It is NOT because (fully
functional) students lack adequate personal mathematical aptitude. [It is
not because some have the capacity and some do not.]

Instead, the learners' floundering results from whatever their lifetime
experiences, to date, have contributed toward or against digesting
curricular mathematics into MACS. [Some can "get" MACS from what they happen
to experience in math courses; others need alternative kinds of
experiences.] The household and community environments often resolve the
mathematical sensibility in ways that the curricula do not. Perhaps Robert
Hansen eductively guided his young son to digest his present mathematical
knowledge into personal common sense ... and might proceed with
MACS-education through the calculus, et al. Most likely, he will use some
"prompting" and some "presenting."

Clinical eduction is an R&D *tool.* By no means does clinical research
imply that eductive ("tell no math") instruction is somehow "better
teaching" than is its antithesis, didactic ("tell all math") instruction.
Curricular mathematics instruction is an *industry*, and as such, its
*productivity* is increasingly under scrutiny. Within that industry,
"better" means "more productive", especially when at lower costs.
[Unfortunately, present technologies for "testing" are such mis-oriented
"measures of effectiveness" that they threaten to curtail actual
productivity.]

Although the relative common-sensibility of curricula is of humanitarian
concern [especially for captive audiences, it is a major factor in personal
educational health], popular concerns about industry-productivity force
common-sensibility to the forefront. The more common-sensible the
curricular experiences, the more efficient the production, the less the
waste, the better the products, and the greater the market-satisfaction.

However much the curricular educational practices might or might not be
"reformed", the fact remains that the degree to which the educational
practices fail to make the mathematical "points" and processes
common-sensible to students is the degree to which the curricula are
contra-productive ... undermining their mathematical evolutions and their
personal mathematical health. [Repeatedly re-teaching for re-learning
results from it not being earlier made common-sensible.]

It often happens that highly formal, strictly didactic, direct instruction
is sufficiently common-sensible for the intended audiences ... and often it
miserably fails. It often happens that "indirect instruction" is
contra-productive because it tangentially goes off into the la-la land of
irrelevance ... likewise failing to make foundational mathematics
common-sensible to students.

Unfortunately, relatively few American educators are equipped to make
curricular mathematics common-sensible to students ... because the needed
professional (MKTE) Mathematical Knowledge for Teachers' Education has yet
to be surfaced and shared. The role of the MALEI Clinic is to disseminate
such knowledge ... NOT to promote any specific ways of implementing it.

[Persons interested in making normally troublesome topics of school-level
mathematics fully common-sensible to adults or children may wish to
participate in an emerging Special Interest Group. Request details from
registrar@mathsense.org .]