Date: Jul 8, 2013 9:07 AM
Author: J.B. Wood
Subject: Tensor Definition

Hello, all.  Just when I think I've got a good handle on tensors (after
painstakingly reading and working problems in Louis Brand's "Vector and
Tensor Analysis"), I come across the following in Merriam-Webster's
Collegiate Dictionary:

"A generalized vector with more than three components each of which is a
function of an arbitrary point in space of an appropriate number of
dimensions"

That definition seems to exclude well-known dyadics (stress tensor,
permeability tensor, etc) having 9-components that are constants (for
the material involved.) That aside, I'm still having a problem grasping
the foregoing definition. Thanks for your time and any comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com