Date: Jul 12, 2013 1:06 PM
Author: Wayne Bishop
Subject: Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers

First off, I'd check on her knowledge of the appropriate mathematics
at the level she has been hired to teach. As a rough example,
several times over the years as an advisor, I have been asked by
students to waive a calculus prerequisite because of his earlier
calculus experience. May lead question was "What is the derivative
of x squared?" More than once I have gotten a response almost
verbatim as, "Well, I don't remember everything about calculus." End
of conversation.

So if she is completely misplaced but is in charge of the lives of
real people, as too often happens, I would encourage her to resign
ASAP. First things first, you know.

If her mathematics competence is appropriate for her grade level
(very different for 3rd grade versus, say, Algebra 2), I would
encourage her to find someone particularly effective at directly
communicating the mathematics - including the appropriate Khan
Academy lessons - to emulate and, to the extent possible, work
closely with them.

Thanks for asking, have I said why I left teaching high school? I
really liked it (pretty rough Chicago inner-suburb school) and had no
intention of leaving but the NSF bribed me to do it. More money to
go to grad school for an academic year than to teach so I took a year
LOA, later extended to a 2nd year, and eventually resigned.

Wayne