Date: Jul 27, 2013 7:29 PM
Author: Jonathan Crabtree
Subject: Leonhard Euler's early arithmetic in Russian 1768

Leonhard Euler's early arithmetic in Russian 1768
http://archive.org/stream/1768LeonhardEulerUniversalArithmeticVol1/1768-LEULER_Universal_Arithmetic_Vol_1#page/n0/mode/2up

Dear Friends

I have uploaded a little known (almost unknown) book on arithmetic written in Russian by two of Leonhard Euler's students following their study of mathematics under Euler.

It was published 1768 and so predates Euler's first Russian book on algebra published 1770.

I you speak Russian or know a mathematician who does, they may be interested to view this book.

Importantly, as part of my personal 'audit' of the evolution of western arithmetic, I would like to have the definition of integer multiplication from Volume 1 of this book translated into English.

If anyone can help, please post below.

Thank you!
Jonathan Crabtree
Mathematics Researcher
Melbourne Australia

P.S. I have also uploaded Volume 2, published 1769. It can be downloaded from
http://ia601904.us.archive.org/27/items/1769LEONHARDEULERUniversalArithmeticVol2/1769-LEONHARD_EULER_Universal_Arithmetic_Vol_2.pdf