Date: Aug 6, 2013 5:22 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: PUSHING children to learn math Vs. ENCOURAGING children to learn math

Further my post dt. Jun 26, 2013 12:13 PM - http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2578579 - (which appears below my signature for ready reference, it seems that some of us are suffering from the same old delusion that it is necessary to PUSH children to learn math rather than to ENCOURAGE them.

For whatever good it may (or may not) do, I provide a link to an interesting document that suggests the opposite:
"Guiding Parents in Helping Children Learn"
http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/guiding/contents.pdf

(IMHO, it's not the best guide that could have been written - and it probably isn't the best guide that's available today - but it does seem to be fairly competent, nonetheless.

(I.e., for whatever it's worth, the Guide suggests that it is much better to ENCOURAGE children to learn math rather than to PUSH them to do it).

GSC
("Still Shoveling [not PUSHING]"!)
+++
GSC had posted Jun 26, 2013 12:13 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2578579)