Date: Aug 12, 2013 10:01 PM
Author: Tom Potter
Subject: Re: Confessions of a CERN summer student

"Sam Wormley" <swormley1@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:x_mdnajv5qmb6JTPnZ2dnUVZ_rsAAAAA@giganews.com...
> Confessions of a CERN summer student
>> http://www.quantumdiaries.org/2013/08/11/confessions-of-a-cern-summer-student/
>
>> http://www.quantumdiaries.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SummieFrollick5.jpg

Sams URL captures the essence of
that part of the physics establishment
that is on the public dole.

As can be seen from the excerpt from Sams URL,
while most young folks are hard at work trying to
be useful to society and themselves,

and engineers and physicists in the private sector
are hard at work coming up with useful things,

the on-the-public-dole physics establishment
wastes time, money and minds,
pollutes the environment, and contributes to global warming,

by flying physics gurus and thier young religious converts
to expensive, popular watering grounds to
engage in physical rituals hyped to
discover the beginning and end of the universe
and the mind of God.

"CERN has approximately 10,000 people on site each day and a plethora of
clubs and societies to cater for their wide ranging interests - from amateur
radio to Zumba. The students are also proactive in setting up their own
clubs and sharing their special interests. We've had student-led salsa,
acroyoga, Balfolk dancing, French and Spanish lessons running throughout the
programme. I've even taught a bit of Capoeira.
At the epicentre of a CERN summer student's social life are the parties in
the Pump Room - a large multi-function room on the Meyrin site. The loud
techno music, strobe-lighting, cheap booze and lads dancing topless on a
table to YMCA makes the parties feel like the illegitimate lovechild of a
German rave and American frat party. The students love'em though."

Observe that while the physics establishment members
on the public dole are wasting time, money and minds,
and contributing to global warming,

almost all of the important contributions are being
created in the private sector.

For example Volta's battery
generated an avalanche of progress
in every field of science and industry,

as did the Watson/Crick DNA model,

as did Edison's discoveries in audio and video recording
and electric power generation and distribution,

as did Watt's discovers in steam power,

as did Jack Kilby integrated circuits discovery,

as did Jack Claude E. Shannon information theory discovery,

that lead to Intel's programmed integrated circuits discovery,

as did Fujio Masuoka invention of flash memory,

as did George Smith and Willard Boyle invention of the CCD.

Note that most of the great ideas come out of the free market,
and that when one does come out of government research
like the Watson/Crick DNA model,
that the founders never come up with a second creation.

because Universities funded with OPM
hire creative people as Poster Boys
to enhance their images,
and the thinker is neutralized.

The bottom line is
that research should NOT be funded by the taxpayers

but when the taxpayers think that some advance
is needed, a reward should offered to ANYONE
who meets the specified conditions.

It has been my experience in observing scientists
on the public dole for many years,
that like almost all government employees.
they are more motivated by a cushy, secure position
with lost of benefits and an early, cushy retirement
than they are in putting their nose to the grindstone.

When I was a sales engineer and interacted
with many scientists, I observed that what was
foremost in the minds of private sector scientists
was getting the job done,

and what was foremost in the minds of scientists
on the public dole was status, play, reputation,
cheeses, wines, good food, and world travel.

Thanks to my pal Sammy
for calling our attention to the life style
of scientists on the public dole.

--
Tom Potter

http://the-cloud-machine.tk