Date: Aug 28, 2013 2:59 PM
Author: dpb
Subject: Re: x-axis has too many tick lables

On 8/28/2013 1:54 PM, dpb wrote:
> On 8/28/2013 1:47 PM, Larry Rose wrote:
>> hello,
>> Does someone know a command to limit the number of x-axis tick labels?
>> So, could limit the number of labels to a specific number of labels. I
>> have too many so I can't even read them unless I enlarge the graph.
>> please advise.

> Not specifically a command, no...use the 'xtick' and/or 'xticklabel'
> properties to set the number/values.
>
> To cut them in half, for example,
>
> xt=get(gca,'xtick'); % get the current ones
> xt(1:2:end)=[]; % wipe out every other one
> set(gca,'xtick',xt) % and replace w/ updated
>
> Innumerable variations upon a theme are possible, of course...

Dang--hit 'return' instead before updating the above...better choice for
the above would be to keep the first instead of second so

xt(2:2:end)=[]; % wipe out every other one

and, of course, you can also do things like

xt=linspace(xt(1),xt(end),N); % to pick a given number

Often you'll want to make the spacing pretty of course, so a little
logic for that is always in order. But, the general idea is
straightforward; specifics depend on the case.