Date: Aug 30, 2013 2:30 PM
Author: Jerry P. Becker
Subject: Another response to posting on Calculator Use

******************************
This is a response from Steve Sugden in Australia to the posting on
Calculator Use on Exams - Shift With Common Core, Wednesday on August
28, 2013. FYI ...
******************************

On the current topic, my view is that all calculators should be
banned and use spreadsheets instead. There is plenty of research to
indicate that Excel modelling supports abstract reasoning, and also
the transition from number to algebra. I also believe that GCs are
much overrated and that calculators in general, cripple the brain.
Lots of button-pushing and often not much inkling of whether what
emerges has any real value or correctness. They are black boxes.

Spreadsheet models show structure and build confidence in
understanding of math relationships.

My 5-cents worth!

Now descending from soapbox.

Steve Sugden