Date: Sep 2, 2013 4:59 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1

Further some remarks in my post dt. Sep 2, 2013 10:25 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9252126), I just wanted to bring to mind a delightful short story by W. Somerset Maugham, titled "Mr Know All" - it is freely available at http://www.is.wayne.edu/MNISSANI/world/Mr%20Know-All.htm.

<snip>

> (GSC's previous post): Doubtless this example may lead
> to some unease (perhaps up to the extent of some minor
> angst or maybe even dismay) in Robert Hansen's mind
> that in the past he may have been a 'mite unfair' to
> Richard Strausz [RS] (and to Dan Meyer, of course).
> Congratulations, RS and Dan Meyer.
>
> To the best of my understanding, it is generally
> wiser not to assume that one knows everything about
> something that one actually knows rather little
> about. At least one then avoids being termed a 'Mr
> Know-It-All'

<snip>
GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")