Date: Sep 19, 2013 1:07 PM
Author: Jessica Walter
Subject: Re: algebra I lesson 6 Distributive property - I need some guidance

I would also like to say how thankful I am that I am in almost the exact same spot!  I have been so so so worried about my pacing.  I just taught lessons 6 and 7 today.  We have block scheduling, so we have to get through 2 lessons in a day.  I had similar concerns and confusions about the distributive property lesson.  What I ended up doing was starting with exercise 4 on page S.26 and doing the remainder of the exercises on page S.27.  One of the things that was helpful was, in exercise 6, students wanted to add b^2 and 2b together.  Using the distributive property like we did in exercise 4, we were able to show that b^2 and 2b could not be added together and students were able to see why (I think...some did not get it, but some of my more advanced students did which was great!).  I liked most of lesson 7.  I struggled to give exercised 1-4 the time they deserved because we were running out of time.  However, I think students left with a decent understanding of the propert!
ies. I am very anxious to see how they do when we get to lessons 8 and 9 and if they are able to tie back what they learned about the properties to the operations they are performing on polynomials.

If anyone else has any reflections or thoughts, I would definitely appreciate hearing it! Thank you for posting this topic!
*