Date: Oct 1, 2013 9:00 AM
Author: Bill Marsh
Subject: out ofs

I have T-shirts that say ?5 out of 4 people hate fractions.?  One person said it was an underestimate.

We sometimes say three fourths as ?three out of four? but we don't say five fourths the way my T-shirt does.

Sports announcers use out ofs: ?Joe hit one out of four in game one and two out of five in the second. That's three out of five so far in the series.?

Out ofs are vectors. They are exactly the integer lattice points in the first quadrant of the x-y plane that lie on or above the line y = x.