Date: Dec 31, 2013 8:01 AM
Author: Richard Strausz
Subject: Math Forum Internet News - another testimonial

I have written before about how valuable I find the weekly 'Math Forum Internet News' to be. Friday's issue includes the article I copied below.

This link will take you to the archives and gives information on subscribing. (it is free.)

http://mathforum.org/electronic.newsletter/

Richard

Math Blogging Retrospectus 2013

http://emergentmath.com/math-blogging-retrospectus-2013/

A Fort Collins math coach has compiled his annual compendium of "what made the math blogosphere so great in 2013."

Organized into commentary, tasks, and stories, Geoff Krall's retrospectus includes

Two-Column Proofs that Two-Column Proofs are Terrible (Ben Orlin)
My Three Cents on the Common Core (Fawn Nguyen)
What Does it Mean to Understand Mathematics? (Robert Kaplinsky)
Blogging > Twitter (Michael Pershan)
Direct Instruction v. Inquiry Learning, Round Eleventy Million (Dan Meyer)
26 Questions You Can Ask Instead (Max Ray)
One Way to Introduce Ratios So They Make Sense to Students (Nicora Placa)
Coupon Composition: Just in Time for the Holidays (Scott Keltner)
When Desmos Fails (Patrick Honner)
An Encouraging Thought (Timon Piccini)
#DuckFace (John Mahlstedt)

Available for download in an editable .docx version, this compilation began with Krall's solicitation to "peers who happened to find their way to my doorstep" at the beginning of the month. He dedicates his own blog, begun two years ago, to "brainstorming interesting and dynamic math problems and projects," with emphasis on Project/Problem Based Learning (PBL) models of instruction:

http://emergentmath.com/