Date: Jan 3, 2014 12:15 PM
Author: Louis Talman
Subject: Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Read Chandy's post again, Robert.  And read it very carefully.

It most certainly does not say what you claim it does.


And He is certainly right when he says that our country is not named
"America,"
even though it's often called that colloquially---which he acknowledges.

There is some argument over whether Fidel Castro owns the title "American,"
but there is none at all about Hugo Chavez. Venezuela is an American
country,
and its inhabitants are thus Americans.

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 22:38:47 -0700, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2014, at 11:22 PM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 16:59:16 -0700, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I don?t know which is more weird, your position on OPMS or you telling
>>> 320 million Americans that they are not American.

>>
>> You really aren't very good with language, are you.
>>
>> He didn't say that at all. What he said is that those 320 million
>> Americans aren't the *only* Americans. The Canadians are Americans, as
>> are the Mexicans. Those, of course, are the *North* Americans. There
>> are also, the Costa Ricans, the Colombians, the Chileans, the
>> Argentinians, and a host of others in Central and South America that I
>> won't try to enumerate.

>
> Your argument is even more asinine than his. Which is a feat in itself.
>
>
> Here is what he said?
>
> "As you know "America" is a giant subcontinent mostly located in the
> northern hemisphere of our planet consisting of two large
> sub-continents, "North America" and "South America", each of which
> consists of over a dozen independent nations.?
>
> Entirely false. The continents of North and South America are
> collectively referred to as ?The Americas?. For obvious reasons, so as
> not to confuse them with the country known as ?America?. Individually,
> they are North America and South America.
>
> And this is where he says we are not ?Americans? -
>
> "However, many citizens of the US of A have become accustomed to
> assuming "America" = "US of A" and vice versa, and to referring to
> themselves as "Americans", entirely forgetting that Canadians and Cubans
> are also "Americans". Even Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez are as much
> "Americans" as is any citizen of the US of A.?
>
> He explicitly said that ?America? is not the name of our country, and
> when we use it that way, as in ?I am an American? to mean a citizen of
> America, we are wrong, not once, but twice. We are not Americans (as in
> citizens of the USA) nor are we citizens of America because according to
> his and now your cockamamy analysis, America is a continent comprised of
> two continents, and several islands.
>
> I can excuse GS. We all know what he?s been through. But you?
>
> I want to say to all the kiddies watching this channel. Do not be
> discouraged by Lou?s inability to see the substance of an argument if it
> isn?t spelled out in infinite formal detail. This is not the unavoidable
> result of formal mathematics. Even if formal mathematics might attract
> people with this characteristic, formal mathematics isn?t the cause of
> this characteristic.
>
> Bob Hansen



- --
- --Louis A. Talman
Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>