Date: Jan 23, 2014 8:44 AM
Author: Gerry Rising
Subject: New Book for Beginning Math Teachers

Ray Patenaude and I have written LETTERS TO A YOUNG MATH TEACHER, an inexpensive book designed to aid beginning school mathematics teachers in making the difficult transition from student to teacher, from adolescent to adult.

Based on and drawing examples from our own experiences as beginners as well as those of many other teachers, this book addresses the problems associated with entry into the real world of today's schools.

This is not a methods book but rather supplements those texts to address immediate problems related to such topics as the school environment and discipline; textbooks and curriculum; classroom and standardized testing; and interactions with students, colleagues, administrators and parents. Also included is a listing of useful supplemental and personal texts.

Reviewers of the book have indicated that it serves not only math teachers but teachers of other subjects and even general readers who are interested in the real world of today's schools.

LETTERS TO A YOUNG MATH TEACHER is available in soft cover and Kindle formats from Amazon.com and other outlets. Instructors of teacher training classes may contact me at insrisg@buffalo.edu and identify their role to obtain a personal review copy.

Gerald Rising
SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus
University at Buffalo