Date: Feb 2, 2014 12:45 PM
Author: Richard Hake
Subject: The Defiant Parents: Testing's Discontents <br> – Response to Hunt

I transmitted the substance of this post to Math-Teach on 01 Feb 2014 ~15:00-0800 but so far (02 Feb 09:40-0800) it had not shown up on the Math-Teach archives at <>.* Here's a second try:

In the abstract of my post "The Defiant Parents: Testing?s Discontents ? Response to Hunt" [Hake (2014)] I wrote:

"Modesty forbids mention of these examples. . . .[[of "formative evaluation" in the JCSEE sense]]. . . . . . 7. 'SET's Are Not Valid Gauges of Students' Higher-Level Learning #2' [Hake (2011b)] at <>."

In response, GS Chandy (2014) questioned the use of the apostrophe in the word "SET's" claiming that "SET's" means "SET IS".

Not so! According to Wikipedia's entry on "Apostrophe " at <>:

"USE IN FORMING CERTAIN PLURALS: An apostrophe is used by some writers to form a plural for abbreviations, acronyms, and symbols where adding just "s" rather than " 's " may leave things ambiguous or inelegant."

Richard Hake, Emeritus Professor of Physics, Indiana University; Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands; President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII); LINKS TO: Academia <>; Articles <>; Blog <>; Facebook <>; GooglePlus <>; Google Scholar <>; Linked In <>; Research Gate <>; Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs <>; Twitter <>.

"A little Learning is a dang'rous Thing;? Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring:? There shallow Draughts intoxicate the Brain,? And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope in "An Essay on Criticism"

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <> and accessed on 02 Feb 2014.]

Chandy, GS. 2014. "Re: The Defiant Parents: Testing?s Discontents ? Response to Hunt," online on the OPEN! (but heavily moderated) Math-Teach archives at <>. Post of 01 Feb 1:42 am (the Math Forum fails to specify the time zone).

Hake, R.R. 2014. "The Defiant Parents: Testing's Discontents ? Response to Hunt," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <>. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <> with a provision for comments.
* Ed. note: See