Date: Feb 11, 2014 11:24 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer

Richard Strausz posted  Feb 11, 2014 9:11 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2619196) - GSC's comments follow:

> > Bob
> >
> > On Feb 10, 2014, at 10:34 AM, Richard Strausz
> > <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
> >

> > > This wasn't from Dan.
> >
> > But it was Dan?s three-act approach to evading the
> > teaching of algebra being used, wasn?t it?
> >

> That's your spin. I choose to look at it as a problem
> which motivates the teaching of algebra itself.

> > > It is true that the internet is full of great
> > algebra problems. Would you suggest a few of them
> > that I might be able to use with my students?
> >
> > If we both agree that the internet is full of great
> > algebra problems then finding internet problems

> isn?t
> > the need, is it? Teaching teachers are to use the
> > problems and prepare students for the problems is

> the
> > need.
> >

> Okay then: at your convenience, find a problem that
> you like from the internet. Tell us what the problem
> is and how you would teach it if you had a classroom.
>

> > Bob Hansen
>
> Richard

The Robert Hansen (RH) Rules:

PUSH the children to learn whatever it is that RH believes it is necessary for them to learn.

If that doesn't work, GOAD them!!!

I don't know if the following is a part of the famous RH 'philosophy of teaching':

If neither of the above works, you may try to ENCOURAGE them.

GSC