Date: Feb 14, 2014 11:38 AM
Author: Joe Niederberger
Subject: Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer

R Staruss says:
>Here is an example of a great introductory technique that I could see taking 5 minutes to introduce the idea of coordinates of points. It is an easy topic to teach, but this is a elegant way to let students see why naming points is important.

I thought we had discussed the fact that one cannot in general "pick a point", either in reality, or even, in a sense, mathematically (there is no mathematical process by which points are picked.) Its just a broken metaphor. Mathematically, points are simply asserted to exist. Nor can one give most points any individual names.

Of course one can pick certain points, but they constitute a infinitesimal minority.

Cheers,
Joe N