Date: Mar 16, 2014 10:28 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: How science  shaped modern 'rejection of religion'

Under the title "How Atheism Helped Create the Modern World [Excerpt]", Scientic American has published a thought-provoking excerpt from a book "Imagine There's No Heaven: How Atheism Helped Create the Modern World", by Mitchell Stephens.  Very much worth the reading, in my opinion.

Myself, I am 'passionately agnostic' in my beliefs - as I think (notwithstanding Dawkins, et al) that 'atheism' may well be - in some sense - the opposite side of a Bible-thumping (or Quran-thumping; or any other kind) of fundamentalist religiosity. I've not read the book yet: I do look forward to doing that.

(I must, however, admit that 'atheism' appears per se to be far preferable to 'unthinking deism' - or is 'theism' the word I should be using? Perhaps someone highly expert in the use of the English language, like Robert Hansen, might advise? I have searched Wikipedia and the dictionaries, don't find much help there).

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy