Date: Jul 3, 2014 12:08 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

On Jul 3, 2014, at 11:38 AM, GS Chandy <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:

>> (RH): It seems that
>> leaving your child?s future in the hands of the
>> *stakeholders* is something to be avoided.
>>

> Is that right?
>
> Did your son at any stage of his life EVER take a school bus? Did you happen to drive that bus yourself? If not, you had entrusted the safety of your son in the hands of the busdriver, who happened to be a 'stakeholder?.

This isn?t what I meant at all. Of course our kids go to school, it is mandatory, unless you have the time to homeschool them. Nonetheless, we don?t leave it at that. My son will probably attend a private school for middle school unless we get lucky with the lottery and he gets a spot in the *choice* school in our area (similar to the charter school Joe?s kid attended). And I tutor my son several times a week to ensure that he is getting a real education. If we were to leave our children?s future in the hands of the stakeholders, we wouldn?t go through all of this trouble. And many parents don?t or can?t. We are not happy with the direction our education system went and we don?t leave the future of our children?s lives in its hands. That doesn?t mean we homeschool, although that is a valid alternative, excepting the social education elements.

Bob Hansen